January 21, 2014

Work-Life Crisis Mode (Part 1)

Everyone has an opinion about the 20 somethings and once you hit 40, you're over the hill, but little is said about the stage in between: your 30's. Why is that?

Maybe because once you hit your 30's it's "gut check" time.

It's either "work sucks" or "my life sucks."

Translation: I've been working this job for while now. I know it's not the best fit for me, but I have no idea how to transition into something else plus I'm not willing to risk quitting my job if nothing better opens up. 
lonnie millsap, work life balance, my job sucks, comicon
Have you been there? Are you there right now?

I'll actually cover "my life sucks" in part 2 of this post next week. 

So you're at a crossroads where you look back at your 20's and ask yourself, "Where did time go?" "Why didn't I plan more?" "Is this really what work is supposed to be like?"

This is post-dreaming...it's reality. I've seen this stage in a lot of my clients who want to get into a new industry, but have no idea of how to do it. It's too much of a risk starting over, but you're also rotting away from the inside-out if you continue to stay where you are

Try this perspective: do you want to look back on your life and regret not taking a chance? I don't.

Landing a new career is not an extremely fast process, but it can happen if you're willing to do the right things.

What are your strengths? How strong is your network? How willing are you to go through the "back door?" 

These are challenging, but necessary questions to answer in order to move forward. Everyone's situation is different, but I believe the same process works across every industry.

If you're at a point in your career where you need a change, but just don't know how to make it happen, let's talk

Once you have a game plan and are committed to execute it, it's only a matter of time before things change.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!