December 16, 2011

Farm Raised or Wild?

Which one do you prefer? Farm raised means the environment is controlled. You can figure out what wild means. This question has a direct application to your career...


"Farm raised" is working in the same job, for the same company for a long period of time. Baby Boomers call it loyalty, but the younger generations call it boredom. If your career is condensed into one experience, your mind has limited options because that's all you know. You can become an expert and narrow-minded at the same time.

Wild means you've jumped around. Your experiences are diverse and changing: a mixture of internships, volunteerism and positions. You may be labeled as a generalist, but it's much easier to adapt to the task at hand. Wild means you're open to new and innovative ways to accomplish your goals. Your mind is piece of clay, ready to be molded.

When I was in 8th grade, I had attended private schools all my life. As the school year came to a close, I decided to attend a local, public high school. There were some negative adjustments (such as my grades dropping), but overall it was the right choice. Growing up in private schools all my life I was sheltered. Public education opened my mind to new people, experience and ways of learning. In ways, I transitioned from being farm raised to wild.

In today's economy we may not have as many career options. I encourage you to work hard where you are, but never stop looking (or applying to) for new opportunities. There's no finish line when it comes to your career/learning. Challenge yourself to grow by exploring "wild" environments and stay open minded!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!